Comments on: Planet of the Apes (1968) movie review Mon, 31 Jul 2017 03:39:08 +0000 hourly 1 By: gone with the vint Thu, 29 Jun 2017 07:18:47 +0000 I saw POTA as a kid and the ending had a huge impact on me. Great video as always, but I’d like to know what you are thinking about the source (the novel written by Pierre Boule) and the original ending. I remember people were upset about the ending of the 2001 remake, which was in fact closer to the novel.

By: notsu Tue, 27 Jun 2017 01:00:41 +0000 In reply to Gorlomi.

Which I am. I almost never get spoiled, of anything.

I’m like a professional at not getting spoiled of tv shows, sports results, even upcoming movies I see zero poster, zero trailer, most of them I go into them not knowing who are going to be the actors (for instance for Rogue One, I had no idea that the movie was happening before IV and it was very pleasant to discover everything by myself).

There isn’t not much I can do when a movie completely unrelated to what I’m watching is spoiled instantly like here though.

All that said, I want to stress that I really enjoyed this review, other than that 🙂

By: Smokingspoon Mon, 26 Jun 2017 14:50:27 +0000 In reply to Gorlomi.

I’ve had the debate before… Basically, everything remains a spoiler. You just gotta be careful.

By: notsu Mon, 26 Jun 2017 01:27:46 +0000 In reply to Gorlomi.

And I am the living proof that it’s possible. I have caught up with a lot of classics, but you can’t expect me to have seen every movies ever made. For instance I’ve seen The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) but I have yet to see Goodfellas which I’ve heard is great, and plan to watch it as well as other classics when I get the time. There is just so many of them.

By: Joker83 Sun, 25 Jun 2017 23:43:07 +0000 In reply to Gorlomi.

So the people who didn’t see Citizen Kane, Psycho, and Fight Club (some of the most famous and talked about movie endings of all time), saw Planet of the Apes?

By: Joker83 Sun, 25 Jun 2017 23:40:23 +0000 This is a great video and a great review. It made me think about the movie in new ways too. I really loved the ending where you show the rediculous cover of the VHS box.
As to the people complaining about spoilers… you mean to tell me you know the ending to Planet of the Apes but somehow missed all time classic endings that have been talked about and parodied endlessly, like Psycho, Sixth Sense, Citizen Kane, and Fight Club? If that is somehow true, then maybe don’t pause the video at those quick faux VHS covers that flashed rapidly in the screen so fast you could barely register the spoiler.
Anyway, awesome review James. I really enjoyed this one

By: greedo Sun, 25 Jun 2017 00:44:37 +0000 In reply to greedo.

One point I forgot to mention, though. To be fair, Dr. Zaius is simply enforcing the laws that were handed down by the Lawgiver. Though one wonders if they weren’t “altered” on down through the centuries.

By: greedo Sun, 25 Jun 2017 00:36:34 +0000 “Man is a menace”. Pretty good film. Especially the ending. Which I will not spoil, any more than James did. 🙂 I can’t help but like all of the characters in this film. Even Dr. Zaius, as aggravating as he is. I just wish that Hollywood would have left well enough alone, and let this series of films stand on its’ own.

By: notsu Sat, 24 Jun 2017 15:13:48 +0000 In reply to Gorlomi.

I disagree. Personally I hadn’t seen neither Citizen Kane, Psycho nor Fight Club. And I bet the vast majority of people aged 14-22 haven’t seen most of these either.

And even if 80% of people knew about these movies (which isn’t the case), how would that make it OK to ruin it for the remaining 20% ?

Especially after what he says earlier in the video : “if you don’t know about the ending of this movie, you’re very lucky and you will have a great experience”. How can you believe in that and then proceed to do this ?

In the youtube comments alone there are a lot of people complaining that they got Fight Club spoiled, or 6th sense spoiled. And that’s only the ones who took the time to write a comment. This video alone probably ruined these movies for hundreds of people.

By: itscmillertime Sat, 24 Jun 2017 11:26:14 +0000 In reply to Gorlomi.

Eh… i feel most people have seen those movies or know about the endings. And rosebud isn’t as much of a spoiler if you ask me. I guess it is… but not as much of a shocker.